The marine surveyor will be responsible for surveying and examining marine vessels to assess, monitor, and report on their condition and the products loaded on them.
- Certificate of Competency as Master Mariner/Chief Engineer.
- Sea going experience on Tankers and or Bulk Carriers experience required.
- Have a valid driving license and a vehicle.
- Capable of performing a vessel Draft Survey.
- Conduct surveys on vessels in port to ensure environmental, safety and generally accepted industry standards are maintained as per clients requirements.
- Performs inspection as required by domestic and international governance bodies.
- Inspect tugs and barges on behalf of oil companies and upload reports to OCIMF-SIRE or other related websites.
- Attend on board tankers at terminals for cargo operations to advise on pollution safety and environmental matters.
- Examine and report on vessels for conditions relative to compliance with applicable requirements.
- Witness tests and operations of emergency and safety machinery and equipment.
- Inspect bulk carriers for condition of structure and cleanliness as required by clients.
- Calculate results based on accurate measurements taken for bunker surveys, draft surveys and air draft surveys to provide Certificates.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Previous experience working on Chemical, Product and Petroleum carriers essential.
- Proficient in conducting a vessel Draft Survey.
- Previous experience working on both bulk carriers and tankers preferred.
- Willingness to attain an OCIMF SIRE/OVID inspector’s accreditation.
- The ability to write comprehensive survey and investigation reports in the English language.
- Able/prepared to work on call. The function requires week-end work and willingness to travel locally and internationally is a prerequisite.
- Valid certificate of competency from Transport Canada required.
- Master Mariners TC Certificate required.
- Detail oriented and possesses a strong demonstrated ability and background in mathematics.
- Comfortable or willing to learn working with official procedures, methods, and operations in an inspection or Marine related industry.
- Must have a reasonable understanding of computer skills and be reasonably proficient in MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and MS SharePoint platforms.
- Possesses or willing to take workplace hazardous materials information systems related courses.
- Must have excellent observation and problem solving skills.
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to articulate complex ideas and procedures into understandable terms.
- Ability to multi-task, have strong organizational skills, a motivated self-starter, and able to work well under pressure to get results.
- Have the ability to work unsupervised, effectively and contribute within a diverse team with various skill sets. Able to work with minimal supervision, self motivated with a positive attitude.
- Able to work independently, even under difficult and demanding circumstances.
- Must have mobility to conduct vessel inspections
- Must maintain home internet connection for work outside of office hours
- Regular travel may be required and may be on short notice
- Proficient in English.
- Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to climb up and down stairs and ladders
- Able to work at heights in cargo holds on mechanical man-lifts
- Manual dexterity for repetitive tasks
- Ability to work all shifts indoors, or out, day or night
- Wearing of safety equipment- PPE, including respirator, will be required
- Able to stand or sit for up to eight hours per day
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
Hours of Work
Initially this marine position is a casual position. The hours of work may vary depending on workload or customer requirements. The surveyor must be able to attend the port in daytime, evening, or overnight shifts. Will also be required to work on weekends.
We offer an interesting, challenging and varying job, with an international character. In-house training is provided and there is room and support for those candidates who would like to develop additional skills within the scope of their tasks as Marine Surveyor.
A competitive salary/benefit package is offered.