Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
We are currently accepting applications for Chief Engineers to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet for each tour based on operational requirements.
Reporting directly to the Master of the vessel and functionally to the Technical Superintendent, the position of Chief Engineer is a key leadership role on our vessels that is responsible for all maintenance activities performed on board. The Chief Engineer will lead the engine room department and maintain a safe and efficient operation of all vessel equipment. This position is responsible for all engine room employees, including our electrical division, making this a critical role in leading, managing, and developing their team. The Chief Engineer plays an integral role in developing, maintaining, and promoting a strong safety culture on our vessels as well as managing related environmental programs on board.
Valid First Class Motor Certificate STCW 95
- 24 months recent experience in a relevant position
- Demonstrated work experience with leading and developing a successful and effective team
- Proven ability to manage areas of responsibility such as supply chain management, budgetary requirements, and human resources functions
- Functional working knowledge of Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Familiar with International Safety Management (ISM) and International Association of Classification Societies (
- Organizational and documentation skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Transport Canada Approved Marine Medical Certificate
- Marine STCW 6.1 and 6.2
- Must have confined space training and experience
- All certificates to be valid and up to date
- Graduate of a recognized marine school in a related program
- Previous work-related experience relative to various machinery configurations
- Marine Advanced First Aid
- Passenger Safety Management
- Specialized Passenger Safety Management
This position is designated as a safety sensitive position and is subject to the provisions of our Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes testing.
The Marine Atlantic Team
Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm Atlantic Time on 18 April 2018.
Please note: For your application to be considered, all sections and questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
Marine Atlantic Inc. is committed to Employment Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities, and Visible Minorities.