Position: Manager, Regulation & Compliance
Location: Vancouver, BC
Seaspan Corporation (NYSE:SSW) is the world’s largest financial lessor in the containership leasing space with a $7bn+ balance sheet. Seaspan provides many of the world’s major shipping lines with alternatives to vessel ownership by offering long-term leases on large, modern containerships combined with industry leading ship management services.
Seaspan is seeking a Manager, Regulation & Compliance to join the team. The Manager, Regulation & Compliance is responsible for the effective implementation and ongoing development of the company’s environmental management system on both company vessels and in company offices. This position maximizes the operational efficiency from the managed vessels in strict compliance with the international and national regulations while satisfying the requirements of its customers. The incumbent constructively engages, in an efficient cooperative manner with other functional groups and departments, to ensure the company meets current regulation and compliance as it relates to Marine, Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental matters.
• Tracks and interprets relevant environmental regulations, communicates information to vessels, shore staff and New Build department to ensure compliance with environmental legislation
• Builds relationships and liaises with regulatory bodies, such as US Coast Guard. Participates in environmental industry associations and committees
• Provides guidance, information and training on regulatory matters to other departments and sea staff
• Maintains the legislation register on all upcoming regulatory requirements and looks at trends for the future
• Works with internal stakeholders to position the company for future requirements
• Drives the implementation of environmental policies and practices onboard and ashore
• Update relevant documents and plans to ensure the most current regulations are followed:
o Ballast Water Management Plans to as needed to ensure compliance with MARPOL and US regulations
o Biofouling Management Plan- maintain and add updates as regulations change
o MRV report monitoring with DNVGL, widening in 2019 to IMO CO2 reporting,
o SEEMP – updates needed for IMO changes to MARPOL Annex VI
o Garbage Management Plan as needed to ensure compliance with MARPOL.
• Issuing of annual certificates to vessels at completion of monitoring period
• Manages the development and employment of systems to ensure compliance, record-keeping and preparation for:
o ISM code certification
o ISO standards systems compliance and future certification
o Regulatory codes, international regulations
o USCG and other relevant national and flag state authority requirements
o Documentation, tracking, statistics, and reporting
• Proven senior management experience in a competitive shipping environment in a ship owning or third-party ship management company
• Full understanding of Marine and HSEQ management principles and their application and working knowledge of relevant industry regulations, procedures, audits, and instructions
• Strong technical and documentation skills including the development and implementation of documents and procedures, emergency response documents, plans and procedures
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, and good writing style
• Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
• Strong analytical skills
• Bachelor of science preferably in the environmental field or equivalent an asset
• Regular international travel is required and may be on short notice
• Must have mobility to conduct vessel inspections
If this sounds like a great opportunity for you, click on APPLY FOR THIS POSITION and take a few moments to complete an application and upload your resume. Seaspan employees can apply through the Internal Career Centre, please check SeaNet for the instructions on how to do so.
We thank all applicants in advance. If your application is shortlisted to be included in the interview process, one of our professional recruiters will be in contact with you. No agency calls please, many thanks.