The Mechanical Superintendent is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the Mechanics and Machinist, in addition to assisting the Yard Superintendent in a variety of projects as needed. The incumbent may be assigned to work with a project manager, or may be directed to oversee or handle specific projects or tasks as required.
• Ensures performance and quality meet ISO standards by briefing, training, and supervising staff, providing leadership, conducting performance evaluations, hiring, laying off, disciplining or discharging employees if required, and providing a working environment that promotes employee safety, morale, and communication so that production objectives can be met.
• Determines resources required on all projects for the Mechanics and Machinists.
• Communicates and coordinates activities and requirements with owners and technical representatives to complete the projects on time, on budget, and to the customers’ satisfaction.
• Attends vessels and project sites external to the yard to review work requirements and assist in project estimating and operational requirements assessments to complete the project.
Education and Experience
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing ship repair and construction projects, experience in voyage repairs, extensive knowledge and understanding of the Mechanical trades, and extensive supervisory experience in a unionized environment are required.Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
Knowledge of applicable rules and regulations, corporate policies and procedures, and technical equipment;
• Knowledge of English language, verbal and written;
• A high standard of business conduct and ethics and the ability to deal with all situations and issues with integrity and honesty;
• Ability to take initiative to understand the needs of others (internal and external “customers”) and to take action to achieve appropriate results;
• Working with and coordinating the activities of people, over whom the incumbent may have no direct authority; focusing attention and energy on bringing various activities together to achieve set objectives, meet schedules and complete projects within an allotted budget;
• Excellent analytical, problem-solving, decision-making, communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position please click here.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and Encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.