Consultation under the Oceans Protection Plan is now underway on certified spill response organizations. The review aims to enhance the regulations and standards for response organizations certified by Transport Canada. It will address a wide range of topics under five themes:
- Recognizing local conditions and risks
- Strengthening response times and capacity
- Planning for cascading resources (e.g. bringing extra people and equipment from other regions)
- Improving the federal government’s certification process for response organizations
- Improving public awareness and participation
The discussion paper and on-line portal for comments can be found at: https://letstalktransportation.ca/requirements-for-oil-spill-response-organizations. The deadline for submissions is July 3, 2018.