Career Opportunity: OPERATIONS COORDINATOR
Want to work in an exciting environment with some of the most talented people in Canada? Join our team and connect with your potential.
The Port of Vancouver is Canada’s largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways, bordering on 16 municipalities and intersecting with traditional territories and treaty lands of several Coast Salish First Nations. Annually $200 billion in goods with more than 170 world economies are traded through the port. The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority manages port lands at the Port of Vancouver, and leads the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers.
Our Marine Operations and Security Department is looking for a highly motivated individual to join their team as an Operations Coordinator. This position is the first point of contact regarding the entire range of operational and security issues and is responsible for taking action, redirecting or escalating the response as appropriate. In addition to customer service and safety of operations responsibilities, the Operations Coordinator coordinates incident response and dispatches port authority’s land and water resources as required. Specific duties include:
• Coordinates port operations promoting safety and efficiency in accordance with port practices and procedures, gathers and interprets operational intelligence from a variety of sources and takes action accordingly.
• Evaluates and responds to operational requirements directly or with guidance from the Manager Marine Operations - Deputy Harbour Master or representative.
• Monitors marine or land traffic movements anticipating potential operational issues and taking proactive action.
• Coordinates provision of services to customers and ship agents including anchorage assignments and other vessel requests.
• Reviews and processes service requests issuing permits and authorizations in accordance with existing port authority procedures.
• Monitors and coordinates land traffic conditions and takes appropriate action to resolve congestion issues.
• Works with a variety of technical CCTV and other monitoring systems typical in an Operations Centre environment.
• Manages and controls effective communications during normal or emergency operations.
• Dispatches port resources as required including harbor patrol, road patrol, maintenance or contracted resources.
• A core component of the position is to provide functional guidance to port land and water resources; acts as a channel through which work is directed.
• Provides written and verbal reports on operational intelligence to staff as required.
• Monitors and reports on port activities, developing situations and incidents within the port environment, using all available resources including technology and systems.
• Makes recommendations and supports the efforts of the Manager, Marine Operations - Deputy Harbour Master/Assistant Harbour Master to improve processes and increase efficiency.
• Implements the port’s emergency procedures.
As the ideal candidate, you have at least a two-year full-time diploma in operations and logistics, transportation and logistics or another acceptable discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution, and a minimum of three years related marine experience. In addition, you have an excellent knowledge of the port system and stakeholders. Experience in emergency and dispatch is an asset.
This position works 12-hour rotating shifts, which include evenings, weekends and statutory holidays.
The port authority offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
If we have accurately captured your profile above, please apply on-line by visiting http://www.portvancouver.com/careers/ by September 14, 2018.
(Please note that this posting will remain active until the position is filled.)
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.