Following the lead of Transport Canada, the U.S. Surface Transportation Board issued orders at the end of last week to the Canadian Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railways that they must produce a plan to resolve the backlog of grain car orders on the U.S. rail network by today. In addition, both railways must provide the Board with weekly status updates beginning June 27. The reports are to include:
- state-by-state totals of outstanding grain car orders at the end of the week
- the total number of new orders for the week
- those orders filled for the week
- any cancellations by shippers
- the average number of days late for all outstanding grain car orders
- the number of cars allocated for grain car service each week, including any private cars in service.